Burrowing owl / USFWS

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.


Special Use Permits
Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward.

At Las Vegas National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities

  • General 
  • Research
  • Commercial

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits. Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.