The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

Special Use Permits

Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

At the Laguna Atascosa Valley National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities:

  • Biological research
  • Access to areas normally closed to the public
  • Special events
  • Commercial tours or activities
  • Commercial photography or videography

If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management at least one month in advance of your work to begin the SUP process. To start the process please email Refuge Ranger

Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.  For more information, visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits. Or, go to How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

Thank you for helping us protect America's wildlife and wildlands.