• Passes


    Passes admit cardholder and three adult guests. Kids 15 and under are free.

    Passes Honored

    • America the Beautiful Federal Recreational Land Passes
    • Kama ‘aina Passes (Hawaiian Residents)
    • Golden Eagle Passports
    • Golden Access Passports

    Passes must:
    • Be valid. (Not expired)
    • Be physically present along with passholder and passholders ID. We cannot look up your pass as there is no passholder database in existence.
    Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports may be exchanged for the new plastic passes at no cost. Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

  • General Permit Information


    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Commercial Special Use Permits

    The Kaua‘i National Wildlife Refuge Complex (KNWRC) consists of Kīlauea Point, Hanalei, and Hulē‘ia National Wildlife Refuges and is administered under the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, a part of the Department of the Interior. The KNWRC manages a growing number of requests for various uses within the three National Wildlife Refuges within the complex. As stated in policy, soliciting business or conducting a commercial enterprise on any National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) is prohibited, except as may be authorized by special permit (Title 50 Code of Federal Regulations Section 27.97). The Special Use Permit (SUP) application requires staff to review and make a decision for all uses within its management responsibility. An application review fee of $60 is required at the time of submittal. Additional fees for commercial use are discussed in Attachment B on page 8.

    Why do we issue Special Use Permits for Commercial Guiding?

    • Ensure that guides have the knowledge, skills, and resources to exhibit safe recreational and educational use of KNWRC, as well as provide information about the refuge(s) for which the permit is issued and the Refuge Complex in general;

    • Ensure that guides are trained on the mission of the National Wildlife Refuge System, local flora/fauna, refuge history/facts, and historical significance;

    • Promote high-quality visitor experiences on the refuge; and

    • Protect the natural habitat and species at refuge(s) and surrounding areas.

    Who needs a Commercial Guide Permit?

    Any person or business that charges or includes a fee for guiding on a refuge is required to have a commercial guide permit, including non-profit organizations. Open call for permit applications (only applications received by the deadline are guaranteed consideration):

    • February 1-March 31
    • Permits issued by: May 15


    Application Procedures

    Step 1: Download and read the permit application instructions and permit stipulations prior to starting the permit application. Please read instructions carefully as not all information is required for each activity. 


    Step 2: Complete the application using the following link for commercial guiding:

    Step 3: E-mail the completed application to with the following additional items:

    • A nonrefundable payment of $60.00 made to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service by cashier’s check or money order;
    • A copy of the appropriate documentation of insurance coverage (a Certificate of Insurance with adequate Comprehensive General Liability coverage, the minimum limit of liability being $300,000 per occurrence). See Attachment A.


    All documents and payment must be received by March 31. Permittees will be notified of selection by May 15.

    Incomplete applications will be returned without consideration and must be re-submitted by the deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS. Application packages containing false statements and/or fraudulent or misleading information will be denied and the application fee will be forfeited.

    Applicants may complete the application portion in person or electronically and submit to the refuge for review. Contact the refuge headquarters office with any questions. The final issued permit will include stipulations specific to the requested activity and location.