A beaver recently cut down a tree along the Souris River at the J. Clark Salyer NWR.  People, however, need permits to do this.

Hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, photography, interpretation, and environmental education are allowed in designated areas on J. Clark Salyer NWR.  All other activities require a Special Use Permit issued by the Refuge Manager.  If you are unsure if an activity is allowed in a specific area, please contact our office.

  • Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.