Bear Jumping

 A special use permit is not required for the general public to visit a national wildlife refuge to engage in wildlife-dependent recreational activities such as wildlife watching, hunting, fishing, photography, environmental education, interpretation, hiking, and camping. Visitors must comply with all pertinent refuge regulations, State and Federal laws, and State hunting and fishing regulations.

  • Special Use Permits

    Frosty by Lisa Matlock 150X 150

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.


    Special use permits are required for, but not limited to, the following types of activities:

    Commercial Operations:
    - Guiding and outfitting (hunting, fishing, wildlife watching, river trips, etc.)
    - Big game transporting
    - Air and water taxi
    - Sand and gravel removal
    - Commercial filming and videographers

    Scientific Research and Monitoring:
    - Biological research
    - Archeological research
    - Geological research
    - Research and Monitoring Installations* (i.e., weather, climate, seismic, etc.)

    Use and Occupancy of Refuge Lands*:
    - Commercial guide cabins
    - Subsistence cabins
    - Trapping cabins
    - Tent platforms and long term tent camps
    - Commercial fishing cabins and other support facilities

    * Transportation and utility systems, and other long-term installations, require a right-of-way permit from the regional Division of Realty.

    Permits issued for commercial uses are subject to a $100 administrative fee which must accompany the application. Please review the notice (pdf) regarding our Paper Check Conversion Program. The administrative fee is in addition to any applicable reserved site use (rental) or client use day fees.

    Special use permits are obtained by submitting a permit application to the appropriate refuge. Please contact the appropriate refuge office before completing the permit application.


  • Big Game Guiding

    b=Brownbear by USFWSTessaJohnrendt

    Special use permits for big game guide services are awarded through a competitive selection (prospectus) process and are valid for five years, with one additional five-year permit available non-competitively. The Refuge recently re-advertised nearly all of the available big game guide permits (application period closed February 29, 2012) for the new permit term beginning January 1, 2013

    Learn More