View to Painted Desert / Jenny and Oliver Davis ©

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.


Special Use Permits
Special Use Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some special use permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward.

At Imperial National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUPs) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities. Contact refuge headquarters for additional details.

  • Biological research 
  • Access to areas normally closed to the public 
  • Special events 
  • Commercial tours or activities 
  • Commercial photography or videography 

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System website for more information on Special Use Permits.
Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.