• Permits

    2016 duck stamp

    Special use permits may be issued for compatible secondary uses such as research, trapping and woodcutting upon approval of the Refuge Manager. Contact the Refuge office at 920-387-2658 for application information.

    Federal Duck Stamps

    Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps, commonly known as “Duck Stamps,” are pictorial stamps produced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They are not valid for postage. Originally created in 1934 as federal licenses required for hunting migratory waterfowl, Federal Duck Stamps have a much larger purpose today. 

    Federal Duck Stamps are a vital tool for wetland conservation, including the purchase of land for the Leopold District's acquisition of Waterfowl Production Area lands. Ninety-eight cents out of every dollar generated by the sale of Federal Duck Stamps goes directly to purchase or lease wetland habitat for protection in the National Wildlife Refuge System.

    Since 1934, sales of Federal Duck Stamps have generated more than $750 million, which has been used to purchase or lease more than 6 million acres of wetlands habitat in the United States. These lands are protected in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s National Wildlife Refuge System.

    The Junior Duck Stamp is a product of the Federal Junior Duck Stamp Conservation and Design Program which is a dynamic arts and science curriculum that teaches wetlands and waterfowl conservation to students in kindergarten through high school. Revenues from the sale of this stamp goes to support awards and environmental education for the students who participate in the program.

  • America the Beautiful Federal Passes

    senior pass photo

    A series of passes (America the Beautiful) covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands - including some national wildlife refuges (Horicon does NOT charge an entrance fee). Passes include the Annual, Senior, Access, Military and 4th grade. 

    Please note that the refuge visitor center is currently closed to the public due to COVID and are unable to issue passes at this time. 

    For more information or to purchase a pass online

    These passes may also be obtained at federal recreation sites that charge entrance fees.  Call ahead to the federal site you are planning to visit.