Wildlife & Habitat

Bumble Bees

Holla Bend National Wildlife Refuge is home to a variety of wildlife species associated with its habitat. Habitats include bottomland hardwood forests, open water, seasonal wetlands, grassland, and croplands.

  • Waterfowl

    Waterfowl Amer White Pelicans 150 W

    Holla Bend NWR was established as a feeding and resting area for migratory waterfowl that use the Mississippi and Central Flyways each year. During these migrations numerous species of ducks and geese will stop over to feed and rest before continuing on their migration or will stay here all winter.

    Learn More
  • Migratory Songbirds

    Migratory songbirds Bobolink 150 W

    The Refuge plays an important role managing diverse habitats including bottomland hardwood forest, grassland, irregularly flooded timber, mudflats, and open water for an abundance of birds, particularly, neotropical migrants.

    Learn More
  • Mammals

    Bobcat 150 W

    There are many of these hairy, warm-blooded animals on the refuge. And many are easy to see early in the morning or late afternoon.

    Learn More
  • Bottomland Hardwoods

    Bottomland hardwoods_150 W

    The refuge manages approximately 2,700 acres of bottomland forest and 1,620 acres of reforested bottomland hardwoods. Forested land on Holla Bend consists of land that was not cleared for agriculture during the Refuge’s initial development stages.

    Learn More
  • Cropland Habitat

    Cropland 150 W

    The refuge currently farms 1,000 acres, under a cooperative agreement with one local farmer. Generally, the farmer plants 75% of this acreage in cash grain crops (soybeans and corn), and the other 25% in crops for waterfowl and other wildlife as the refuge’s share. Part of the refuge share is planted in winter wheat as green browse for geese, swans and deer.

    Learn More
  • Moist-soil Management

    moist soil management_150 W

    Portions of Holla Bend's wetlands are bottomlands surrounding remnants of the old Arkansas River channel. The largest open-water portion of the old river bed consisted of approximately 390 acres. The remainder of the old channel has filled in, leaving three small lakes connected by shallow willow sloughs. A weir and water control structure on the upper end of the old channel allows the refuge to hold water in the lakes and sloughs during the winter months.

    Learn More