Research at Grand Bay
  • General and Research Permits

    Glass Lizard

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Hunting Permit

    Whitetail Buck

    Hunting is allowed by permit along with the appropriate Mississippi state issued hunting license during designated hunting seasons at Grand Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Grand Bay NWR issues an annual hunting brochure. To legally hunt the refuge, you must acquire a new copy of the brochure each year and sign and carry the permit/brochure with you at all times on the refuge. Permits expire each June. You may obtain a permit by stopping by the visitor center, by contact us to receive a copy in the mail, or by printing out the permit here

    For information on how to obtain the appropriate Mississippi hunting license, please visit their website or the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Hunting License website