Launch Fee Required Banner

Although visiting Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) does not require the purchase of a pass, the fee to use the Fort Niobrara NWR canoe launch is $1.00 per person. Special permits, however, are required for certain activities on the Refuge such as grazing. Please contact us for more information regarding those special use permits.

  • Passes

    Annual Pass

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.  These Passes are not required at Fort Niobrara NWR.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

    Passes are sold in Nebraska at Agate Fossil Beds National Monument - 308-668-2211; Homestead National Monument of America - 402-223-3514; Nebraska National Forest-Bessey District - 308-533-2257; Nebraska National Forest-Main Office - 308-432-0300; Nebraska National Forest-Pine Ridge District - 308-432-4475; and Scotts Bluff National Monument - 308-436-9700.

  • Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.