About the Refuge

PL Point of Arches Sam Beebe

Scraps of land strewn at the edge of the continent, Flattery Rocks is home to a teeming diversity of life. Puffins nest in crags, while elephant seals rest on rocks, and sea otters dine off-shore. 

Along with Quillayute Needles and Copalis, Flattery Rocks was set aside by Teddy Roosevelt in 1907 as one of the earliest National Wildlife Refuges in an effort to protect and enhance habitat for struggling seabird populations.  Together these Refuges have been designated wilderness and include approximately 800 off-shore rocks, reefs and islands stretching from Cape Flattery in the north to just south of Copalis Head, excepting those that are part of designated Native American reservations.  

Today the Islands swell with raucous flocks of migrating seabirds in excess of a million during fall and spring migrations.  In summer the vast majority of Washington’s breeding seabirds jostle for space on these remote rocks.  Black oystercatchers tend pebbly nests at the water’s edge, common murres lay gravity defying eggs on barren ledges, and tufted puffins burrow their nests deep into the loamy bluffs.  Kelp beds surrounding the Islands provide territory for a growing reintroduced sea otter population to cavort.  

Because of the fragile and remote nature of the Refuge all the islands are closed to human disturbance.  A 200-yard buffer zone surrounds each island to protect the wildlife.  However the Refuges and their inhabitants may be viewed with binoculars or spotting scopes from several beaches along the coast, including Shi Shi, Cape Alava, Rialto, Second, Ruby, and Kalaloch.