Permits & Passes

Sunrise Stan Culling
  • Permits

    There are plenty of great reasons to plan a visit to the Deer Flat National Wildlife Refuge. There are no entrance fees, and few activities require a permit. In fact, no permits are needed for allowed recreational activities, such as boating, hiking, biking on roads, etc. Hunting and fishing only require the usual licenses required by the state's of Idaho and Oregon; all other licenses required by the state's are also needed.

    Other specific activities, like scientific research, access to closed areas, etc., would require a Special Use Permit from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service. Please contact the main office at for details.

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country. Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds. Idaho and Oregon permits are handled by the Idaho Department of Fish and Game and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, as appropriate. Contact them for current hunting regulations.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Passes

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    Decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

    These passes can all be purchased at the Refuge Visitor Center on weekdays. Please call ahead to confirm that someone is available to issue you the pass.