About the Refuge

aboutx512

In 1909, portions of the Culebra Archipielago were designated as a wildlife reserve in accordance with an Executive Order signed by President Theodore Roosvelt. Administration of the Culebra lands was the responsibility of the U.S. Navy and the wildlife reserve designation was subject to naval and lighthouse purposes. Several of the small islands of the archipielago, as well as the Flamenco Peninsula, were used for gunnery and bombing practice by the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps until their departure in 1976. The following year, portions of the Navy-administered lands were transferred to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and jurisdiction over other portions was transferred to the service. On-site administration of the refuge was established in 1983. Approximately one quarter of the Culebra archipielago’s total land mass is now included within the Culebra NWR.

 

En 1909, porciones del Archipiélago de Culebra fueron designadas como reserva de vida silvestre de acuerdo a una Orden Ejecutiva firmada por el Presidente Theodore Roosevelt.  La administración de los terrenos de Culebra era la responsabilidad de La Marina de los Estados Unidos y la designación de reserva de vida silvestre estaba sujeta a propósitos militares y de faros para la navegación.  Muchas de las pequeñas islas Archipiélago así como la Península Flamenco fueron utilizadas como blanco de tiro y prácticas de bombardeo por la Marina hasta su partida en el 1976.  Al año siguiente, varios de los terrenos administrados por La Marina fueron transferidos al Estado Libre Asociado de Puerto Rico y la jurisdicción sobre otros terrenos fueron transferidos al Servicio Federal de Pesca y Vida Silvestre.  La administración local del refugio fue establecida en 1983.  Aproximadamente, una cuarta parte de la extensión total de los terrenos en Culebra está incluida dentro de los terrenos que comprenden el Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre de Culebra.