Passes and Permits

Flock of waterfowl at Sutter NWR

An entrance pass is not required at the Colusa National Wildlife Refuge. Special licenses, validations & passes are required for hunting - see below.

However, the Sacramento NWR does require a day pass. Valid passes include refuge passes, current year Federal Duck Stamp, or an Interagency America the Beautiful Pass.

Additional special use permits are required for commercial photography use, scientific research, and access to closed areas.

  • Refuge Passes

    There are no entrance fees required at Colusa NWR (not including hunter access, see below).  Sacramento NWR does collect a $6 day use fee to help pay for visitor facilities; annual passes are $12; a commercial vehicle pass ($20) is required for buses and commercial vendors. These passes are available at the fee machine or the visitor center. The Sacramento NWR Visitor Center also offers America the Beautiful Interagency passes.  Please visit the link below to learn more.....

    Learn More
  • Hunt Area Passes & Permits

    Hunting on Sacramento, Delevan, Colusa and Sutter NWRs require special licenses, validations & passes.  See the Hunt Area Permits, Regulations & Shoot Times page for more information.


    Learn More
  • Special Use Permits

    Special Use Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to be considered. 

    Examples of activities that require a Special Use Permit (if deemed compatible by the refuge manager):

    • Commercial filming (audio, video, photographic products of monetary value)
    • Commercial activities such as guiding hunters, anglers, outdoor activities, or large organized groups
    • Research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other nonFWS organizations
    • Large organized groups (birding, wildlife watching, festivals, etc)   

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System website for Special Use Permit Applications. Special use permit applications will be evaluated by the refuge manager to determine whether or not they are compatible with the purposes of the refuge.

    For more information contact: or 530-934-2801 or fax 530-934-7814