We have made significant changes to the big game hunt program for 2016. In general, Chincoteague’s big game hunt has become more closely aligned with the Commonwealth of Virginia’s regulations and seasons.
• The multiple zone system and all but 1 lottery have been revised. All hunts except the first 4 days of firearms are first come/first serve and there are no fees for any of the hunts. Hunters must still pay the refuge entrance fee.
• There are still 2 big game seasons for the refuge; archery and firearms. The dates for these seasons now more closely align with Virginia.
• The hunt orientation is now available online and will cover both archery & firearms seasons.
• We now have one application for big game hunting which covers both Archery and Firearms seasons.
• Your signed application will act as your hunting permit, but you still have to submit an electronic copy via email to the hunt coordinator prior to hunting.
• One significant difference is the bag limit and antler restrictions for whitetail deer.
• For questions concerning hunt regulations please refer to the brochure or contact the Hunt coordinator, Chase Sands, at FW5_ChincoHunt@fws.gov or 757-336-6122 x2315. Please note correspondence sent to the email address will not be replied to until after September 15, however applications sent prior to this date are still accepted.
For specific Virginia state hunting regulations and licenses information please visit the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries.
You will need to download the most recent version of Adobe Reader to open brochures, applications and permit documents. You can get this software for free at http://get.adobe.com/reader.