• About Permits


    Annual Public Use Permits are required for visitors who participate in hunting or fishing activities. Permits costs $20.00 each and are valid August 1st through July 31st of each year.  All hunters and fishermen are encouraged to purchase their permits on-line at

    Lower Mississippi River Refuge Complex St. Catherine Creek, Bayou Cocodrie and Cat Island NWRs Annual Public Use Regulations 2019-2020

    Annual Public Use Permits are also available in person at:

    St. Catherine Creek Visitor Center Visitor Center: 21 Pintail Lane, Sibley, MS 39165. The Visitor Center is open Monday — Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., closed on Federal holidays. Phone (601) 442-6696. Credit and debit cards, cashiers check, or money order is required when purchasing a permit in person at the Refuge — cash cannot be accepted. Money orders must be made payable to USFWS, PO Box 217, Sibley, MS 39165.

    Pat’s Hardware: 7666 US-61 St. Francisville, LA 70775

    The Sports Center: 305 Sgt. Prentiss Drive, Natchez, MS 39120

    Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge has one primitive weapon deer hunt. To apply for this lottery hunt, visit


    Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    At Cat Island National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct many activities.
    Some examples of activities requiring permits include (but are not limited to):
    - Filming/Videotaping (any non-amateur work)
    - Wildlife or general photography (for publications or retail)
    - Seining or any collection of plants, animals, soil, or water 
      (includes collecting for off-refuge or on-refuge use)
    - Any after-hours use
    - Any activities in areas not open to the visiting public
    - All research
    - Crossing refuge property to access private property

    If you are interested in conducting one of the above named activities on the refuge, we encourage you to contact refuge management at least one month in advance to begin the permit process. If you are found conducting an activity that requires a permit without the appropriate permission you could be subject to legal action.

    Thank you for helping us protect America's wildlife and wild lands.
    Special Use Permit APPLICATION
    Special Use Permit INSTRUCTIONS

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.