The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

Visitor Permits

To obtain an Access Permit for:
Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (CPNWR)
Barry Goldwater Range -West
Barry Goldwater Range – East (Area B)
Sonoran Desert National Monument – Area A

GO TO:  


  • Open the drop down labeled "Account Info and Registration" and select "New User Registration"
  • You will be required to watch the safety video and agree to the hold harmless agreement, after which you'll be able to obtain your access permit.
  • Print two copies of your permit so that you have one to keep with you and one for your vehicle.
  • The permit is good through June 30, 2021.
  • While you can print off the appropriate land management map from the site, hardcopy maps will be available at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center.

In addition to the Hold Harmless Agreement you agreed to online, you must be familiar with local rules and regulations specific to each land management jurisdiction you access. These are located on the back of each agency's map.

The CPNWR Office is open Monday through Friday (except for holidays) 
8:00 am - 4:00 pm. Phone: 520-387-6483

Map and Additional Rules Specific for Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge (right click to download or print)

Special Use Permits
These permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific inventories and research.

At the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits are required in order to conduct the following types of activities: 

  • Commercial activities
  • Hunting 
  • Stock animal usage 
  • Vehicle groups of five or more 
  • Research 

Contact Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge for a Special Use Permit application.