The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.


Special Use Permits
Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensures that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

At the Buffalo Lake National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, Special Use Permits (SUP) are required in order to conduct the following types of activities: 

  • Commercial Activities 
  • Research 
  • Woodcutting 
  • Special Events and Activities 

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits.

Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.