Permits (Because our offices are closed, the selling of all Federal passes, including the America the Beautiful passes, has been temporarily suspended at Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR.)

  • Daily Fee

    Daily fee is $3.00 per four adults. An Interagency Annual Pass (old Golden Eagle), Senior Pass (old Golden Age), or Access Pass, Federal Duck Stamp, or an Annual Refuge Pass will admit the pass holder and 3 additional adults (over age 16). Children 16 and under enter free. Each of these passes are available for purchase at Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge Administration Office and Visitor Center. All proceeds from entrance fees and passes go back into Billy Frank Jr. Nisqually NWR programs.

    The procedures for paying may be confusing for the general public.   Please take a blue envelope from the kiosk by the walkway to the Visitor Center.  You do not need to fill out any information on the envelope.  Put $3.00 dollars in the envelope, tear off the sleeve at the perforation and keep that with you on the trails, and seal the envelope and put it in the fee canister by the kiosk.  If you have a pass for the refuge, please keep it with you and don't leave it in your vehicle.  If you are bringing more than four adults in your vehicle and they don't have any of the passes, please contact us at the refuge for more information.

  • Passes

    A series of passes, described above, cover the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.

  • Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.