• Hunting is subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Units near St. Louis have archery only or archery and shotgun only restrictions. (See google maps of those units for specifics) • You may use and possess only approved non-toxic shot while in the field; this includes turkey hunting.• Distributing or hunting over bait, including salt or other minerals, is prohibited.• Target shooting is prohibited.• Use or possession of alcoholic beverages while hunting is prohibited.Trapping
• Trapping is prohibited on all areas of the refuge.Stand / Blinds and Other Hunting• Only portable tree stands and blinds may be placed or used between September 1 and January 31.• Use of nails, screw-in steps or any material that would damage the tree is prohibited.• Unattended stands and blinds must be plainly labeled on durable material with the owner's full name and address.• Decoys and portable blinds are permitted during the prescribed hunting seasons but must be removed from the area daily.Fishing
• Fishing is allowed year round and is subject to all applicable state and federal laws.• All motorized boats must be operated at a no wake speed.Vehicles• Access is by foot only. All vehicles are restricted to designated roads and parking areas.• Vehicle speed limit shall not exceed 25 mph except as otherwise legally posted.Camping
• Camping and unauthorized overnight use on the refuge is prohibited. Public use of sandbars below the ordinary high water mark of the Missouri River is managed by the state and camping is usually allowed.Animals and Plants• Harvest of berries, mushrooms, and nuts for non-commercial use is allowed.• Otherwise, disturbing, injuring, and damaging any plant or animal, except fish and game taken in season, is prohibited.• Collecting of other objects including shed antlers is prohibited.Domestic Animals
• Horseback riding is prohibited.• Pets must be leashed except when under control of hunter during appropriate hunting season.Fires and Fireworks• Building or setting fires is prohibited.• Fireworks are prohibited.
• Artifacts and historical items are protected; collecting them is prohibited.
Follow Us Online
Habitats along the Missouri River are in constant fluctuation as seasonal floods and droughts bring about drastic changes.