Skip Navigation

Permits and Passes

  • Hunt & Fishing Permits


    All plants and wildlife are protected on National Wildlife Refuges unless a specific refuge hunting season allows take.  Big Branch Marsh Refuge is open for limited hunting of deer, feral hogs, small game and migratory game birds.  More specific information is available in the Big Branch Marsh Refuge Hunting and Fishing Regulations brochure.  The Brochure outlines seasons, take limits and other regulations and when signed, the brochure serves as the hunting permit.   


    Recreational Fishing is permitted year round in accordance with State regulations from 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset.   Lake Road public use area offers an improved boat launch and good boat access to Lake Pontchartrain. It also has a dock and fishing pier.  It is also a popular location for crabbing from the bank.  There is an unimproved boat launch for non-motorized boats at the end of Sap Sucker Road.  Night fishing, crabbing and crawfishing are permitted from the bank and pier on Lake Road.

  • Special Use Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.  Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward. 

    For more detailed information, see How to Apply for a Special Use Permit.

  • America the Beautiful Land Passes

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Click here for more information about America the Beautiful Land Passes.

    A list of locations, with phone numbers and Web addresses, where interagency passes are issued, is available in PDF format. (126 KB). 

Last Updated: Jun 23, 2016
Return to main navigation