Permits are generally not required for individuals wishing to participate in hunting, fishing, wildlife observation, photography, environmental education, and interpretation. A Special Use Permit may be required if the activity is conducted for commercial use or financial gain. Examples of activities that may require a Special Use Permit include organized group activities, research, commercial photography, grazing, haying, seismic operations, and utility maintenance projects.

Please contact the Wetland District Manager at 406-727-7400 ext. 228 to obtain a permit or if you have questions about which activities require a permit.