Fishing – You must have a Georgia state fishing license, available at Banks Lake Outdoors on site.
Many activities require a SPECIAL USE PERMIT, such as:
* Fishing Tournaments (fees may apply depending on size of tournament)
* Filming/videotaping (any non-amateur work, including public television and other government entities)
* Wildlife or general photography (for publications or retail)
* Seining or any collection of plants, animals, soil, or water
* Any after-hours use
* Any activity in areas not open to the visiting public
* All research
The permit must be requested at least two weeks in advance of planned activity.
The request must be in writing, on letterhead if possible, and addressed to:
Project Leader, Okefenokee NWR
2700 Suwannee Canal Road
Folkston, GA 31537
For questions, please call 912-496-7366.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country. Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.
Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered Species, Law Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.
Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.
For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.