PROMO Intro COYE 512x219

No permits or fees are required of most visitors—only those planning to use or alter specific resources at the refuge, e.g., hunters or researchers.

  • Hunting

    Waterfowl hunting is allowed on Bandon Marsh National Wildlife Refuge.  The Ni-les'tun Unit has 229 acres open to waterfowl hunting. Hunters may access the area by foot from North Bank Lane and by boat from the Coquille River east of the mouth of Fahys Creek. Waterfowl hunting is permitted on the Ni-les’tun unit three days per week: Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday. Hunters can access the unit 2 hours before sunrise and remain up to one hour after sunset.

    The portion of the Bandon Marsh Refuge west of Highway 101 (Bandon Marsh Unit) and outside of Bandon city limits is open for waterfowl hunting seven days a week during all authorized waterfowl seasons, excluding the early Special September Canada goose season. Hunters may access lands west of Highway 101 by using the Refuge’s paved public parking lot located on the west side of Riverside Drive. You may also access the area by boat during higher tides from the Coquille River. Hunters should be aware that the southern 1/3 of this part of the Refuge is closed to hunting because it falls within the city limits of Bandon. The southern boundary of the public hunting area is posted with "Public Hunting Area" signs. Download a copy of the Bandon Marsh Refuge Hunting Map (PDF 2.4 MB).

    State hunting license requirements apply for all waterfowl hunting on the Refuge. Download the 2020-2021 Oregon Game Bird Regulations for more information or call the South Coast Refuge Manager at (541) 347-1470. 

  • Permits

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country. Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. Service permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Passes

     Annual Pass

    Valid for one full year from month of purchase (through last day of that month).
    Allows pass owner and accompanying passengers in a single, private, non-commercial vehicle to enter Federally operated recreation sites across the country. Covers the pass owner and three (3) accompanying adults age 16 and older at sites where per person entrance fees are charged. No entry fee charged for children 15 and under. Photo identification will be required to verify ownership. Passes are non-refundable, non-transferable and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All active US military and their dependents qualify for a FREE Annual Pass. Learn more!

    Special passes are available for 4th graders (4th Grade Pass) senior citizens (Senior Passes), people with permanent disabilities (Access Pass) and volunteers (Volunteer Pass).

    Please contact refuges directly for specific fee information; only certain refuges charge entrance fees.

    The passes are available at any U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, National Park Service or Forest Service site that charges an entrance fee or standard amenity fee.