Special Use Permits

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

While the refuge is open to the public, free of charge, many commercial activities that occur on the refuge will require a Special Use Permit (SUP). Examples of permitted activities may include grazing, pipeline maintenance, oil and gas operations, harvesting native seeds, biological research, census and surveys and temporary access for commercial uses. Permits enable commercial interests to engage in legitimate, authorized activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward.

At the Attwater Prairie Chicken National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, SUPs are required in order to conduct the following types of activities

  • Utility, pipeline and road right-of-way maintenance
  • Authorized oil and gas production and facility maintenance
  • Livestock grazing
  • Seed or plant collection for restoration, research or education
  • Wildlife research

Please contact the refuge manager directly for any information concerning commercial activities or recreational activities not included in the list of visitor activities on the refuge website.


Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits. 

Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.