• Permits

    Cattle on Prairie Galt 150X118

    Arrowwood refuge issues Special Use Permits (SUP) on a case-by-case basis, and are of three basic types:   

    1.  General Use 

    2.  Commercial 

    3.  Research 


    Most commonly, these permits are issued for activities such as specimen collection, closed-area entrance, or other legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law.  These permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward. 


    Permits are available through Regional or National offices and handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits.

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • Passes

    Senior Pass

    A series of passes covers the entrance and standard amenity fees charged for using federal recreational lands – including national wildlife refuges.

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Arrowwood Refuge does not charge entrance fees.  Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes.