There is no charge to visit Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge, however a Special Use Permit may be required for certain activities.   

America the Beautiful Passes are not sold at this refuge.  

  • Permits


    Arapaho National Wildlife Refuge issues Special Use Permits (SUP) on a case-by-case basis and there are three basic types:   

    1.  General Use 

    2.  Commercial 

    3.  Research 

    Most commonly, these permits are issued for activities such as specimen collection, closed-area entrance, visiting environmental education groups or other legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be prohibited by law. These permit programs ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife. Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activates to go forward. 

    If you are in need of a Special Use Permit for this refuge, please call Headquarters at 970-723-8202 to speak with the Project Leader or biologist or send an email to:  

    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service also issues permits under various wildlife law and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.   

    Permits are handled by permitting programs in International Affairs (Management Authority), Endangered SpeciesLaw Enforcement, and  Migratory Birds.

    Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for Special Use Permits. 

    For more detailed information, go to How to Obtain a PermitFAQs/Facts or Application Forms.

  • America the Beautiful Passes


    The America the Beautiful passes offer discounted opportunities for visiting National Wildlife Refuges, National Park areas, and a variety of other federal lands across the United States. Depending on the pass, discounts include free entrance and/or half price on camping and other activities.

    There are three types of passes: 

    1.   Senior Pass, issued to persons age 62 or over. Cost is a one-time $10.00 fee, and the pass does not expire.  

    2.   Access Pass, issued to persons who have a disability. There is no charge for this non-expiring pass. 

    3.   Annual Pass, issued to anyone, this pass costs $80 and is valid for one full year from month of issue. 

    Existing Golden Eagle Passports and National Parks Passes with an expiration date will be honored until they expire. Paper versions of the Golden Age or Golden Access Passports should be exchanged for the new Senior or Access passes. However, plastic Golden Age or Access passes are valid for the pass holder's lifetime and do not need to be exchanged.    

    The Senior and Access passes are good for the lifetime of the holder and make available (to the pass holder only) 50 percent discounts on some expanded amenity fees.

    For the first time, decals and hangtags are available: decals for those who park open-topped vehicles (like Jeeps) or motorcycles at unstaffed federal recreation sites, and hangtags for those who anticipate parking closed vehicles at unmanned facilities.

    Please visit the National Wildlife Refuge System Web site for more information about passes. 

    These passes can be obtained online, or at selected offices or Visitor Centers. 

    Learn more at