USFWS Permits

NParula - CSlavens - Promo Large

Some commercial, recreational, or research activities are allowed on national wildlife refuges only with a special use permit issued by the local office, and are subject to specific conditions and fees. This permit requirement is meant to ensure that all activities at the federal site are compatible with the refuge’s congressionally mandated wildlife conservation goals.

Special use permits may limit the scope, timing and location of the activity, as determined by the refuge where the activity would take place.

Apply for a Special Use Permit

Prospective permit holders may fill out the corresponding application, sign it, and return it to the refuge for processing. Please submit by email. The permit is not valid until approved and signed by a refuge official. Plan ahead and allow for 30 working days to process the permit.

Commercial Activities Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-C)
For commercial activities such as guided tours, fishing tournaments, commercial filming (audio, video, and photographic products of a monetary value).

Research and Monitoring Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-R)
For research and monitoring activities by students, universities, or other non-FWS organizations.

General Activity Special Use Application (FWS Form 3-1383-G)
For miscellaneous events or any activity not mentioned elsewhere on this page.

Special Conditions

View the special conditions for ceremonies, instructor-led small group activities, or horseback riding groups of five or more horses. Use the General Activity Special Use Application, FWS Form 3-1383-G to apply for a permit.

Other Permit Links
Refuge Hunt Permit
Airboating Permits
Hours and Entrance Fees