Recovery Plan for the Red-cockaded Woodpecker
The process of revising the 1985 red-cockaded woodpecker recovery plan began in August 1995, when potential recovery team members were identified. In January 1996, 15 potential members were asked to participate on the team; all accepted. The first team meeting was held in March 1996; two additional meetings, each one week long, were held in April and December 1997. Between March 1996 and March 2000, team members individually spent hundreds of hours working on the revision, including participation in team meetings, writing, and reviewing. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is very appreciative of the time and hard work put forth by team members during this process. Combined, the team has approximately 257 years of red-cockaded woodpecker experience in the private, state, and federal sectors. Their professional experiences with red-cockaded woodpeckers have included research, population and habitat management, and regulatory and policy responsibilities. They have unselfishly contributed their knowledge, time, and expertise to the many challenges of the recovery plan revision process. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service thanks each of them for their contributions and is grateful to have worked with such a team.
Red-cockaded Woodpecker Recovery Team Members
- T. Beaty, U.S. Army
- J.H. Carter, Dr. J.H. Carter III and Associates Inc.
- J.E. Cely, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
- R.N. Conner, U.S. Forest Service
- R. Costa, Team Leader, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- S.J. Daniels, Primary Editor, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- R.S. DeLotelle, DeLotelle and Guthrie, Inc.
- D.L. Krusac, U.S. Forest Service
- J.A. Jackson, Florida Gulf Coast University
- J.L. Hardesty, The Nature Conservancy
- R.G. Hooper, U.S. Forest Service
- J.A. Hovis, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
- J.C. Ozier, Georgia Department of Natural Resources
- C.J. Petrick, U.S. Air Force
- D. M. Richardson, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- J.R. Walters, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- T.B. Wigley, National Council for Air and Stream Improvement
View Recovery Plan - pdf file.
View Executive Summary - pdf file.
View Appendix 1 - Permits, Training, and Compliance Requirements - pdf file.
View Appendix 2 - Protocol for Monitoring Reproductive Success, Group Size, and Group Composition (Color Banding) - pdf file.
View Appendix 3 - Protocol for Translocation Events - pdf file.
View Appendix 4 - Survey Protocol - pdf file.
View Appendix 5 - Private Lands Guidelines - pdf file.
Download Recovery Plan in pdf form as a zip file.
Download Recovery Plan as a MS Word Document as a zip file.