Raleigh Ecological Services Field Office
Conserving the Nature of America

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where can I obtain information on endangered species?

A. There are several sources. On this site, please search for a listed species by county name or visit our page on endangered and threatened species of North Carolina. Information can also be obtained by contacting our office, the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program.

Q. If there is an endangered species on my property, are there restrictions on what I can do?

A. There may be. It is illegal to harm or harass an endangered species. Harm includes destroying or modifying habitat of the species. Continuing your normal activities is no problem. If you are planning construction work or other major changes, it is best to check with our office before proceeding. You will need a special permit from FWS and/or the state if your work will harm a federal or state protected species.

Q. Can I grow pine trees for silviculture purposes and also help red-cockaded woodpeckers?

A. Yes. Service biologists work with private landowners in the Southeast to provide guidance and management recommendations that allow silviculture activities and conservation of red-cockaded woodpeckers. We often recommend timing certain forestry activities outside the bird’s breeding season, protecting the bird’s nesting tree cluster and using other forestry activities- such as prescribed burning- to benefit forestry production and the woodpecker.

Q. Can I help in the recovery of endangered species, and if so, how?

A. First, start out at home, by being a good land steward on your property. Landscape using only native plants; they benefit local wildlife and save you money because they require less care and maintenance.Maintain your septic system regularly. Avoid using fertilizers and pesticides in locations that can runoff to waterways or ditches. Also support community involvement in conservation of wetlands, bays, rivers, forests and coastal habitats. These areas provide habitat for wildlife species as well as enjoyable recreational opportunities, drinking water supplies and economic benefits, including tourism and some industry.

Q. Is there money available to help wildlife on my land?

A. There are opportunities for cost-sharing partnerships through several federal programs. Assistance and information on these programs are available through the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program.

Q. Can I, and how do I go about importing wildlife from outside the U.S.?

A. Contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Law Enforcement Division for referral to the proper authority in Atlanta or elsewhere.

Q. How do I get a fishing or hunting license in North Carolina?

A. You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Q. What do I do if I come across an injured animal?

A. You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Q. What do I do with an animal that is eating my garden?

You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Q. Do you have outreach opportunities available to come speak to my group?

A. Yes, please contact us at (919) 856-4520 (ext.10)

Last Updated: July 30, 2020