Meetings of the Conference of the Parties (CoPs) provide an opportunity for representatives from all CITES Parties as well as non-governmental organizations to participate in determining the future of CITES. At CoPs, the Parties consider proposals to amend the CITES Appendices and make decisions on implementation and enforcement of CITES. CoPs are held approximately every three years and are usually hosted by a member Party.
CoP19 Planning Underway
The nineteenth regular meeting of the Conference of the Parties (CoP19) is scheduled to be held in Panama City, Panama, November 14-25, 2022. For more information about preparing for CoP19 click here. Additional information can also be found at cites.org/eng/meetings/cop.
Virtual Public Meeting
We are holding a virtual public meeting on September 6, 2022, from 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). This meeting is intended to give the public an opportunity to learn more about and provide comments to be used in the development of U.S. negotiating positions for Co19.
The virtual public meeting will take place via the Zoom online platform so that participants can attend remotely.* During the virtual public meeting, attendees can join by computer or phone. The virtual public meeting will start with a brief presentation by the Service and Department of the Interior followed by an opportunity for attendees to provide their oral comments. The order of commenters will be based on registration, and commenters are requested to limit their comments to approximately 5 minutes to allow everyone an opportunity to offer their comments during the meeting. This time limit may be adjusted depending on attendance numbers during the meeting. In addition, written comments can be submitted at https://www.regulations.gov, following the instructions for submitting comments on FWS-HQ-IA-2021-0008. Additional information can be found in our Federal Register Notice of August 22, 2022.
We recommend logging into the Zoom meeting platform 5 minutes prior to the beginning of the meeting to ensure you can connect.** If using the phone-only option, you will be able to listen to the virtual public meeting. Instructions will be given regarding how participants will be able to provide their comments for the public meeting.
*For security purposes, registration is required. To listen and view the meeting via Zoom, listen to the meeting by telephone, or provide verbal public comment during the meeting by Zoom or telephone, you must register.
**Interested members of the public not familiar with the Zoom platform should view the Zoom video tutorials (https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/206618765-Zoom-video-tutorials) prior to the public meeting.
If you have technical difficulties registering for the meeting or joining the meeting on September 6th, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for Attending the Virtual Public Meeting:
For Participants Joining by Zoom Web Platform or Zoom App:
- Please register using this link: https://empsi.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwuce6opj0rHNa-lkuIrvGI2V_Zw9V_byN8. If you plan on providing a comment during the virtual public meeting, please indicate that when registering.
- After registration, participants will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- On the day of the meeting, please join using the information contained in your confirmation email.
For Participants Joining by Phone:
- Register for the meeting (see above). On the day of the meeting, call in using one of the toll-free phone numbers listed below. You will be prompted to enter your Meeting ID. Enter your Meeting ID from your confirmation email and press the # key.
- You will then be prompted: “Enter your Participant ID followed by #. Otherwise just press #.” Phone-only participants will not receive an individualized Participant ID, so just press the # key.
- You will then be prompted: “Enter your Password followed by #. Otherwise just press #.” Enter the Passcode from your confirmation email and press the # key.
- You will be directly joined to the meeting. If the meeting has not started, you will be on hold until the meeting begins.
Call-in Numbers(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
- US: +1 719 359 4580 or +1 720 707 2699 or +1 669 444 9171 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 386 347 5053 or +1 564 217 2000 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 646 931 3860 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 309 205 3325
- International numbers available here.
We are committed to providing access to the virtual public meeting for all participants. Closed captioning will be available during the public meeting. Further, a full audio and video recording and transcript of the public meeting will be posted online at https://www.fws.gov/program/cites/conference-parties-cites after the meeting. Participants will also have access to live audio during the public meeting via their telephone or computer speakers.
We published species proposals and other documents sponsored and co-sponsored by the United States for CoP19.
Previously, we published recommendations received from the public concerning proposed amendments to the CITES Appendices (species proposals) that the United States considered submitting for CoP19, provided additional information, and invited your comments and information on the proposals. We thank you for your input.
We have also published updated information on how U.S. nongovernmental organizations can attend CoP19 as observersas observers.
Please check back for future updates.
Federal Register Notices
August 22, 2022: 87 FR 51441 Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); Nineteenth Regular Meeting; Provisional Agenda; Announcement of Virtual Public Meeting.
April 26, 2022: 87 FR 24577 Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); Nineteenth Regular Meeting: Taxa Being Considered for Amendments to the CITES Appendices. An extended version of this information describes in detail the taxa being considered and explains the rationale for the United States' current thinking. The notice also includes information on how U.S. non-governmental organizations can attend CoP19 as observers.
February 23, 2022: 50 CFR Part 23 Implementing the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); Updates Following the Eighteenth Meeting of the Conference of the Parties (CoP18) to CITES
March 2, 2021: 86 FR 12199 Conference of the Parties to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES); Nineteenth Regular Meeting: Species Proposals for Consideration and Request for Information and Recommendations on Resolutions, Decisions, and Agenda Items for Consideration.