Exhibit 3, 264 FW 1
Supersedes Exhibit 3, 264 FW 1, 9/24/2015
Part 264: Cost Recovery and Reimbursable Agreements
Originating Office: Division of Financial Management
1. What documentation do I submit to request an exception to cost recovery policy for a reimbursable agreement?
A. Request a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) from the Cost Accounting Section of the Division of Financial Management – Denver Operations (CAS DFM-DO) and complete the Reimbursable Agreement Data Form (FWS Form 3-2058).
B. Prepare an exception to cost recovery policy package for surname that includes:
(1) Cover memorandum from Regional Director/Headquarters Directorate member to the Director,
(2) Completed Request of Exception to Cost Recovery Policy (FWS Form 3-2208),
(3) Completed Reimbursable Agreement Data Form (FWS Form 3-2058), and
(4) Any other supporting documentation.
C. Send the exception to cost recovery policy package to the Division of Financial Management – Headquarters (DFM-HQ), for verification of the cost analysis.
D. After verification, DFM-HQ will send the exception to cost recovery policy package to the appropriate Directorate member in Headquarters for review.
E. The Director must approve all exceptions to cost recovery policy.
F. After the Director either approves or declines to approve the request, DFM-HQ will distribute copies to the requesting office, CAS DFM-DO, and the appropriate Regional office (if applicable).
2. Are permanent exceptions to cost recovery policy available?
A. The Director will only approve permanent exceptions to cost recovery policy if they affect a large number of future agreements. Individual requests for an exception to cost recovery policy are not necessary if covered by a permanent exception; however, you must provide documentation to CAS DFM-DO that clearly identifies the permanent exception.
B. For reference purposes, DFM-HQ distributes copies of approved permanent exceptions to cost recovery policy to all Regional Budget and Finance Officers.
3. What about exceptions to policy for multi-year agreements?
A. Multi-year agreements requiring an exception to cost recovery policy must clearly state the appropriate years of coverage.
B. If the program or office incurs charges outside the years covered in the approved exception to cost recovery policy, CAS DFM-DO will inform the requesting program/office that they must have an updated exception.
C. If an updated exception to cost recovery policy is not received within 90 days, CAS DFM-DO will bill the agreement with the addition of the standard cost recovery rate.
4. How long is an exception to cost recovery policy for appropriations or accounts valid? An approved exception to cost recovery policy is valid for 2 fiscal years—the fiscal year it is originally requested and the following fiscal year—unless the Director specifies otherwise.
5. Can I negotiate a reimbursable agreement with a rate other than the standard rates? Yes, but you can only negotiate after you receive an approved exception to cost recovery policy from the Director.
6. Can I waive the indirect cost recovery rate for all those agencies listed in the Service First legislation? No, only those agencies who have mutually agreed to waive indirects with the Service and have signed the Service First Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) are eligible for a waiver.
For more information about this exhibit, contact the Division of Financial Management. For more information about this website, contact Krista Bibb in the Division of Policy, Performance, and Management Programs.