Exhibit 1, 244 FW 3
Date: November 24, 2010
Series: Occupational Safety and Health
Part 244: Explosives Safety
Originating Office: Division of Safety and Health
Rocket Netting Plan for Froggie Bottom NWR.
1. __Barrett King__ has been designated as the Rocket Netter-in-Charge for this operation.
2. Rocket Netting Crew qualifications & experience:
Rocket Netter-in-Charge – __Jane Smith________:
· Has maintained annual rocket net certification per Service policy.
· Is currently trained in first-aid and CPR.
· Has been assigned as Rocket Netter-in-Charge for many waterfowl rocket netting operations.
· Has provided training on rocket netting operations.
Rocket Netters-in-Training – _John Doe and Ralph Jones____:
· Are currently trained in first aid and CPR.
· Have completed initial rocket netter-in-training class.
· Have reviewed Service policy 244 FW 1, “Explosives Safety.”
· Have reviewed Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) on rocket netting.
Observers and Waterfowl Banders: ___Peggy Seattle and Jacob Austin__:
· Have reviewed the JHA on rocket netting.
· Have reviewed the JHA waterfowl banding operations.
· Have received a safety briefing before entering the net area.
· Are not allowed to participate in the rocket netting operations.
3. Rocket Netting Operation location____Frog Pond Site_____
4. Date of Waterfowl netting _____11/20/2010_____ @ 7:00 am.
Explosive used for this operation: Rocket net charges
of charges transported to site: _12___
6. Explosive must be transported and stored per Service policy (244 FW 1). A Type 3 portable outdoor magazine for the temporary storage of explosives will be attended by qualified personnel on site (day-box).
7. Must contact local authorities to notify them of explosive operations and secure local permit if required.
8. Must contact local weather station for daily report.
9. A review of the area for locations of electrical transmission lines or towers, radio towers and phone towers was conducted and operations will not be compromised by electrical/radio frequencies.
9. Standard procedures for handling, setting, wiring, and firing explosive charges must comply with authorized rocket net training procedures.
10. Personal protective equipment, as described by the Rocket Netting JHA, must be used per associated hazards.
11. All bait sites (loaded rockets) on ___Froggie Bottom__ NWR are located >1/2 mile behind locked gates with “Unauthorized Entry Signs.” The Frog Pond site at _Froggie Bottom _ NWR is located ~ 1/2 mile from behind an “Area Closed” sign mounted on a barricade in the middle of the two track trail heading east from minimum maintenance road.
In addition, the following signs will be placed strategically:
· “Area Closed” sign will be mounted on a post .25 to .5 miles before the banding site beside the two-track trail.
· “Danger Explosives Ahead – Waterfowl Banding Operations” signs will be mounted on a post ~ .2 of a mile before the banding site on both sides.
· A minimum of 500 feet from the rocket net area must be maintained during rocket netting operations (distance dictated by charge and type of operation).
12. The rocket netter-in-charge will be prepared to handle misfires. All people are safely kept away from the charge for at least ½ hour if a misfire occurs. Misfires will be handled only by the rocket netter-in-charge.
13. Emergency Action Plan for this Explosive Operation:
· Fire Department 911
· Ambulance 911
· Police 911
· Rescue 911
· _Meckland County_ Hospital. Address:_2093 Main Street; Holloway, GA 00000_ Phone number:_404-240-8660________
· The emergency phone number (911) must be used to immediately contact emergency responders if necessary. Trained first-aid and CPR personnel can administer treatment until emergency responders arrive.
· Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for all hazardous material on site must be accessible to all personnel.
14. A copy of this plan must remain at the site and be displayed at the station office. Also, all Rocket Netting Plans must be kept in the office file for 3 years.
Rocket Netting Plan Completed on_____9/01/2010____________
Station Manager_(print, sign, date)_________________________
Rocket Netter-in-Charge_(print, sign, date)________________________
For information on the content of this exhibit, contact the Division of Safety and Health. For information about this Web site, contact Krista Bibb in the Division of Policy and Directives Management.