320 FW 7
Motor Vehicle Transfer and Disposal

Supersedes 320 FW 7,

FWM 073, 03/11/93

Date:  October 31, 2008

Series: Vehicle and Equipment Management

Part 320: Motor Vehicle Management

Originating Office: Division of Contracting and Facilities Management



PDF Version

7.1 What is the purpose of this chapter? This chapter describes our policy for transferring and disposing of Service motor vehicles.


7.2 What are the authorities for this chapter? See 320 FW 1.3 for a list of authorities for all the chapters in Part 320. 


7.3 What terms do you need to know to understand this chapter? See 320 FW 1.5 if you need a definition for a term used in this chapter.


7.4 Who is responsible for the transfer and disposal of vehicles? We describe our general responsibilities for motor vehicle management in 320 FW 1.6. Following are our responsibilities for motor vehicle transfer and disposal.


A. The Regional Property Manager:


(1) Periodically evaluates program needs to identify excess vehicles on hand and promptly disposes of the vehicles to comply with this chapter;


(2) Works with other Regional Property Managers, Department of the Interior (Department) bureau contacts, and the General Services Administration (GSA) when transferring and disposing of motor vehicles; and


(3) Completes required forms when transferring or disposing of motor vehicles.


B. Accountable Officers:


(1) Provide motor vehicle data to the Regional Property Manager for entry into the Personal Property Management System;


(2) Notify the Regional Property Manager when a vehicle is no longer needed or should be replaced;


(3) Safeguard motor vehicles until they are transferred or disposed of; and


(4) Ensure the proper documentation and identification accompany vehicles when transferred or otherwise disposed.


7.5 How does the Service transfer or dispose of excess motor vehicles? We may only transfer excess motor vehicles. Excess motor vehicles are those vehicles that we do not plan to replace. If we plan to replace a vehicle, then we must sell the old vehicle (see section 7.6).


A. Transfer to another bureau.


(1) If a duty station wants to dispose of an excess motor vehicle, the Accountable Officer notifies the Regional Property Manager that the duty station no longer needs the vehicle.


(a) The Regional Property Manager uses an informal process (i.e., phone and email) to notify Property Managers in other bureaus that the vehicle is available for transfer.


(b) If more than one Property Manager claims the vehicle, the first one to do so gets the vehicle.


(2) The Regional Property Manager records the transfer of motor vehicles to another bureau on Form DI-104, Transfer of Property. This form updates property records and accounts.


B. Transfer to another Federal Agency. If no bureau needs the vehicle, we may transfer it to another Federal agency.


(1) The Regional Property Manager advertises an excess vehicle on The following information must be included for each motor vehicle on the Web site:


(a) Manufacturer,


(b) Model,


(c) Number of cylinders and engine size, and


(d) Odometer mileage.


(2) If another Federal agency claims the vehicle, GSA will provide the Regional Property Manager a completed form SF-122, Transfer Order Excess Personal Property.


C. Charge cards, owner’s manuals, and tags.


(1) If we transfer the vehicle to any organization outside the Service, the Accountable Officer must destroy the fleet charge card and remove decals and tags (see 320 FW 5).


(2) The owner's manual and relevant documents must always stay with the vehicle when transferred.


D. When transfer is not possible. If we are unsuccessful at transferring a vehicle, the Regional Property Manager contacts GSA. GSA may dispose of vehicles through its donation or sales programs (see section 7.6).


7.6 How does the Service dispose of Service owned vehicles that we are replacing? We must sell vehicles that we intend to replace to receive money to help pay for the replacement.


A. The vehicle must meet or exceed the replacement standards before you can consider replacing it (see 320 FW 2, Exhibit 2).


B. After making the following two determinations, the Regional Property Manager reports non-excess vehicles that meet or exceed replacement criteria directly to GSA for sale under the exchange sales authority:


(1) The motor vehicle is not excess or surplus.


(2) The acquisition of the replacement vehicle is not precluded by law.


C. The Regional Property Manager must prepare and send to the appropriate GSA Regional office:


(1) Form SF-126, Report of Personal Property for Sale,


(2) A description of the motor vehicle,


(3) An odometer mileage statement, and


(4) Digital photos.


D. When GSA completes a sale, GSA notifies the station contact and sends him/her a copy of the Purchaser’s Receipt and Authority to Release Property. After verifying the buyer’s identification, the vehicle may be released to the purchaser.


E. The proceeds from the sale of the motor vehicle apply toward the purchase of a replacement vehicle.


F. The Accountable Officer must:


(1) Keep the vehicle in temporary storage until the purchaser picks it up, and


(2) Report the exchange to the GSA Regional office and the Regional Property Manager.


7.7 What are the requirements for reconditioning a Service vehicle prior to selling it through GSA?


A. To maximize our sales proceeds, all vehicles we offer for sale must be appearance-reconditioned.  Appearance reconditioning includes making minor repairs or replacements and cleaning the vehicle to improve its value.


B. Table 7-1 is a checklist of tasks that we must complete on all motor vehicles offered for sale under Exchange Sale authority:


Table 7-1: Checklist of Reconditioning Tasks

Wash motor vehicles, including wheels and wheel covers and the inside and outside of all windows.

Remove trash and debris from the passenger compartment (including under and behind seats) and the trunk or truck bed. Empty and clean ashtrays.

Vacuum the interior of motor vehicles (floor, seats, and trunk) and dust the dashboard, interior door panels, steering column, etc.

Inflate tires and spare to appropriate levels.

Replenish oil, coolant, windshield washer fluid, etc.

Remove any items from the vehicle not for sale (e.g., winch).


C. Do not make major repairs, such as engine or drive train overhauls, or replace major parts unless it is clear that the cost of the parts and repairs will more than offset the expected increase in the sale price.


7.8 How does the Service dispose of motor vehicles we lease?  When vehicles we lease from a GSA Fleet Management Center reach the end of the lease period or we determine they are excess property, we must return them to the originating Fleet Management Center. We may not dispose of vehicles we lease from GSA or transfer them to other bureaus or Federal agencies.



For information on the content of this chapter, contact the Division of Contracting and Facilities Management. For additional information about this Web site, contact Krista_Bibb, in the Division of Policy and Directives Management.  

Directives Home


PDM Websites: Centralized Library of Servicewide Policies | FWS Forms | PDM Services

Privacy, Disclaimer and Copyright Information | Information Quality Act

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page | Department of the Interior  |  | About the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service  | Accessibility  | Privacy  | Notices  | Disclaimer  | FOIA