Permits External Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions and Facts Index

The following alphabetical index is to help you quickly find the answer to general permit questions.The keywords lead you to frequently asked questions and their answer, as well as links to fact sheets and specific web pages.


[B]  [C]  [D]  [E]  [F/G/H]  [I/J/K]  [L/M]  [N/O/P/Q]  [R]  [S]  [T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z]


Keyword – A



Where do I mail my application?  See the top left of each application form for the mailing address.


Application//Inventory Form

Alligator, American

What are the permit requirements to export or re-export products, such as handbags or skulls, of the American alligator?  The American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) is listed as threatened due to similarity of appearance under the ESA and in CITES Appendix II.

  • You must obtain a permit if:  (a) the export or re-export is commercial; (b) your personal crocodilian (alligator, caiman, crocodile, or gavial) items are more than four in quantity; (c) for personal items, the foreign country requires you to have a U.S. CITES document; or (d) the personal item is being mailed or shipped separately to a foreign country. Submit either an export application form or a re-export application form.
  • You do not need a permit from us to export or re-export alligator parts or product as accompanying personal baggage or effects, or as part of a move of household effects if the total quantity of personal crocodilian items is not more than four.  Not all CITES countries recognize these exemptions, and may require a CITES permit. Also, some countries may require an import permit under their domestic legislation.  Contact the foreign country to meet its requirements. If the foregin country requires you to have a U.S. CITES document, submit the appropriate application form listed in the first bullet above.
  • A person engaged in business as an importer or exporter of wildlife must obtain an import/export license.
  • Click here for information on how to commercially export or re-export wildlife, including alligator parts, products or derivatives with a CITES permit.
  • Check with the State to meet its requirements.

Aloe vera

Do I need a permit to import or export products that contain Aloe vera?  Neither Aloe vera nor its parts, products, or derivatives need a permit from us.  However, the subspecies Aloe vera var. chinensis  is listed in Appendix II of CITES, and live plants, parts, products, or derivatives of this subspecies require a CITES permit to be imported or exported.  Click here for a CITES export permit application form. Check with APHIS to meet its requirements.

Animal Welfare Act

Summary of Law

Appendix/Appendices (CITES)

Import, Export, or Re-export of Appendix-III Specimens
Summary/Definition of Appendix I, II, and III




See Bonytongue

CITES:   Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
BGEPA: Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act
ESA:      Endangered Species Act
MBTA:   Migratory Bird Treaty Act
MMPA:  Marine Mammal Protection Act
WBCA:  Wild Bird Conservation Act

For additional information, visit the Fish and Wildlife Service's Frequently Asked Questions web site.