Permits External Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions and Facts Index "R"

The following alphabetical index is to help you quickly find the answer to general permit questions.The keywords lead you to frequently asked questions and their answer, as well as links to fact sheets and specific web pages.


[A] [B] [C]  [D]  [E]  [F/G/H]  [I/J/K]  [L/M]  [N/O/P/Q]  [S]  [T/U/V/W/X/Y/Z]


Keyword – R 


Rabbits, Pet

Do I need a U.S. permit to import or export my pet rabbit?  If your pet is the domesticated European rabbit (Ortyctolagus cuniculus), you do not need a permit from us.  If your pet is some other species, please check to see if it is protected under any wildlife conservation laws that may require you to obtain a permit.  You must import or export your pet rabbit (other than domesticated European rabbits) through a designated port unless you have received a port exception permit. You must notify the FWS wildlife inspection office at the port of entry or exit at least 48 hours in advance, present our declaration form to the wildlife inspectors, and receive clearance from us prior to export or at the time of import. Click here for our information on commercially importing and export wildlife. Check with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, State, and foreign country to meet their requirements.

Rain Sticks

I purchased two rain sticks.  Do I need a permit to export them?   Rain sticks are usually made of columnar cacti whose dead stems have been cleaned and turned into a tourist item, including musical percussion instruments. CITES regulates trade in all cacti, and their parts, products, and derivatives with a few exceptions. CITES recognizes a personal effects exemption and recommends that countries allow the export of up to three rain sticks as personal effects (i.e., items that accompany the owner and are for personal use).  Not all countries recognize this exemption, and may require a CITES permit.  Before traveling with rain sticks, check with the foreign country to meet its requirements.


Do I need a permit to import or export ramin?  Yes.  Ramin (Gonystylus spp), a hardwood tree found in Indonesia and Malaysia, was listed in CITES Appendix III effective August 6, 2001, at the request of Indonesia.  The listing includes all parts and derivatives, not just logs, sawn wood, and plywood, but furniture, picture frames, moldings, cue sticks, window blinds, etc.  Shipments of ramin must be accompanied by CITES documents. Click here for a CITES fact sheet.  Although Malaysia has taken a reservation for this listing, shipments of ramin from Malaysia must be accompanied by an in-lieu-of CITES document. Check with APHIS and the foreign country to meet their requirements.

Rehabilitation, Birds

Fact Sheet



Permits and Certificates under CITES/ESA



Import/export License

Migratory Birds

Other Permits or Registrations

Rosewood, Brazilian

Do I need a permit to export or import Brazilian rosewood?  Yes. Brazilian rosewood (Dalbergia nigra) is listed in CITES Appendix I.  Only plants, parts, products, or derivatives of Brazilian rosewood acquired prior to listing on June 11, 1992, may be used in commercial trade.  Click here for CITES fact sheet or a pre-Convention application form. Check with APHIS and the foreign country to meet their requirements.

CITES:   Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
BGEPA: Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act
ESA:      Endangered Species Act
MBTA:   Migratory Bird Treaty Act
MMPA:  Marine Mammal Protection Act
WBCA:  Wild Bird Conservation Act

For additional information, visit the Fish and Wildlife Service's Frequently Asked Questions web site.