Skip Navigation

Find a Permit

The Hawaiian Hoary Bat, or 'ope'ape'a, is endemic to the Hawaiian Islands. This bat is a solitary species that roosts in trees, not caves. Their fur is tinged with white, giving it a frosty or 'hoary' appearance from which it gets its name. Biologists at USGS are conducting studies on habitat use and movements of bats. The 'ope'ape'a has been designated as the Official State Land Mammal.

  • Permits Overview

    The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties.  (We do not issue hunting and fishing licenses, those are issued by local wildlife agencies.) 

    Permits allow the public to carry out legitimate wildlife-related activities that would otherwise be illegal.  Service permit programs make sure that such activities are done so they protect wildlife.  Some permits promote conservation by allowing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities. 

    The most commonly requested permits are native endangered and threatened species permits under the Endangered Species Act.  Permits are issued to qualified applicants for the following types of activities:  

    •    Safe Harbor Agreements and Candidate Conservation Agreements with Assurances: Enhancement of Survival Permit
    •    Habitat Conservation Plans: Incidental Take Permit
    •    Activities that help the recovery of listed species: Recovery and Interstate Permit

    To help avoid delays:

    •    Work with your local FWS contact (
    •    Check that your application is completely filled out and signed. 
    •    Attach the application fee with your completely filled out and signed application.
    •    Some States, Territories, and Commonwealths may require a local permit before you can obtain a Federal permit, so contact your local wildlife or plant conservation agency  to determine any additional requirements. 

    Local wildlife and plant conservation agencies in Hawai'i, Mariana Islands, and American Samoa:

    •    Hawai'i Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife 
    •    Guam Department of Agriculture, Division of Aquatics and Wildlife Resources
    •    Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Fish and Wildlife
    •    American Samoa Department of Marine and Wildlife Resources 

    For import and export Permits, or other less frequently requested permits, go to the FWS Division of Management Authority

    For more information, go to

Return to main navigation