The Arlington, Texas, Ecological Services Field Office was originally established in 1950 as a Division of River Basin Studies Office in Fort Worth, Texas. Our office is one of the oldest Ecological Services Field Stations in the United States and was the first field station created in Texas. The office was relocated from Fort Worth to Arlington in 1990. Two sub-offices are associated with the Arlington office: the East Texas Sub-office, located in Nacogdoches, and the West Texas Sub-office in Lubbock. Our area of responsibility includes 112 counties in North Texas.
The mission of the Arlington Ecological Services Field Office is to work with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, and plants, and their habitats, for the continuing benefit of the American people. We provide assistance to federal and state agencies, local governments, businesses, and the general public on ways to conserve, protect, and restore habitat for a variety of natural resources that are under federal management, including migratory birds and species listed as threatened and endangered under the Endangered Species Act. Our assistance is typically provided through five program areas: education/outreach, endangered species, environmental contaminants, federal permits and projects, and Partners for Fish and Wildlife.