We welcome subsistence users.  Subsistence hunting, fishing, trapping and the collection of vegetative material are all vital activities for local residents.  Please be sure you know and follow all applicable state and federal regulations. Federal subsistence regulations ONLY apply on federal public lands (generally U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, or National Park Service lands) and not on state, Alaska Native Corporation, or privately-owned lands. You can find out more about federal subsistence regulations from the Federal Office of Subsistence Management. Here are a couple reminders:

  • When requested by a federal or state agent, any person who gives or receives wildlife shall furnish the agent with a signed statement describing full names/addresses, time and place the wildlife was taken and types of species transferred.
  • If you take an animal that has been marked or tagged for scientific studies, you must notify organization identified on collar or marker. 
  • Wildlife taken in defense of life or property are the property of the state and are not for subsistence use.
  • No person may possess, transport, give, receive or barter wildlife that was taken in violation of Federal or State law.
  • To subsistence fish, you must be a rural Alaska resident.
  • You are responsible for complying with all permit requirements and the regulations for methods and means, possession and transportation, and use.  If a State or Federal law enforcement agent asks, you must show any permits, harvest tickets, or other required documents. Law enforcement can also inspect any gear designed for taking fish or shellfish, or any fish in your possession.
  • You must get your permit before fishing.  Keep it with you while fishing or moving subsistence caught fish.  Read your fishing permit carefully.  It may list the species and number of fish you can take for subsistence uses.
  • The permit may require you to keep accurate daily catch records.  You must return this information to the issuing agency for management and conservation purposes.  If you fail to return the record, you may not be able to get a subsistence permit during the following regulatory year, unless you can demonstrate that your failure to report was due to unavoidable circumstances.