Birding by Impression with Kevin Karlson and Dale RosseletSunday, August 14, 2016
Sunday, August 14, 2016 - 7:30 am - 2:30 pm. This interactive workshop shares a different approach to field identification that Kevin calls, Birding by Impression, A Different Approach to Knowing and Identifying Birds, which is the title of his and Dale Rosselet's book in the Roger Tory Peterson Reference Series (April 2015).
Covering shorebirds and other bird families, comparative digitized photos from their new book encourage the audience to spot differences between similar species in direct side-by-side view. This exciting ID approach concentrates initially on basic impressions of size, shape and behavior to form an accurate mental picture of each bird seen in the field. A similar approach was used in Kevin's popular book, The Shorebird Guide
(Houghton Mifflin Co., 2006). The first half of the program concentrates on shorebirds, while the second half covers other species using pertinent ID tips that contribute to your opinion.
- 7:30 am - 11:00 am - Field Study on Wildlife Drive
- 11:00 am - 12 noon - Lunch
- 12:00 noon - 2:30 pm - Indoor Presentation
- Birding by Impression, A different Approach to Knowing and Identifying Birds and The Shorebird Guide and Quick Reference Guides will be available in the Blue Heron Git Shoppe.
- Sponsored by Friends of Bombay Hook.
- Space is limited, call to register, 302-653-9345.