The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service issues permits under various wildlife laws and treaties at a number of offices throughout the country.

Special Use Permits

Permits enable the public to engage in legitimate wildlife-related activities and ensure that such activities are carried out in a manner that safeguards wildlife.  Additionally, some permits promote conservation efforts by authorizing scientific research, generating data, or allowing wildlife management and rehabilitation activities to go forward. 

At the Deep Fork National Wildlife Refuge, wildlife comes first. For this reason, the refuge issues Special Use Permits (SUP) for  


  • Research 
  • Hunting and fishing access for persons with disabilities
  • Special activities on the refuge 
  • Trapping

Visit the National Wildlife Refuge System web site for more information on Special Use Permits.

Additional information can be found at How to Obtain a Permit, FAQs/Facts or Application Forms.