North Carolina Sandhills Suboffice
Conserving the Nature of America

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Where can I obtain information on endangered species?

A. There are several sources. On this site, please see our list of endangered species by county or visit our page on endangered and threatened species of North Carolina. Information can also be obtained by contacting our office, the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission and the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

Q. If there is an endangered species on my property, are there restrictions on what I can do?

A. There may be. It is illegal to harm, harass or take an endangered species. Harm includes destroying or modifying habitat of the species. If you are planning construction work or other major changes, please visit our private lands information page before proceeding. You may need concurrence and/or a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and/or the state if your work will potentially harm a federal- or state-protected species.

Q. I'm planning to purchase a property or build on a property I already own and need to request to have an evaluation done. What is the process?

A. Please visit our Lot Review Decision Tree document for guidance on how to proceed.

Q. I have some pine trees that I would like to remove from my property. Do I need to get approval?

A. The answer is, it depends. If your property falls within a 0.5 mile of a known red-cockaded woodpecker (RCW) cluster and/or you are planning to remove any large diameter pine trees then we recommend that you have an endangered species survey completed before any habitat is removed. This is to ensure that both cavity trees and sufficient forage habitat are protected. Please view our guidance related to pine tree removal for the North Carolina Sandhills.

Q. Can I still grow pine trees for silviculture purposes and help red-cockaded woodpeckers?

A. Yes. FWS has been working with private landowners in the Southeast to provide guidance and management recommendations that allow silviculture activities and conservation of red-cockaded woodpeckers. Management work includes conducting certain forestry activities outside the bird’s breeding season, protecting the bird’s nesting tree cluster and using other forestry activities that benefit forestry production and the woodpecker, such as prescribed burning.

Q. Can I help in the recovery of endangered species, and if so, how?

A. First, start out at home, by being a good land steward on your property. Landscape using only native plants; they benefit local wildlife and save you money because they require less care and maintenance. Also support community involvement in conservation of wetlands, bays, rivers, forests and coastal habitats - there are many land trusts in NC that you can support. Avoid using fertilizers and pesticides in locations that can runoff to waterways or ditches. Maintain your septic system regularly. Click here for more ideas on how you can help endangered species.

Q. Is there money available to help wildlife on my land?

A. There are opportunities for cost-sharing partnerships through several federal programs. Assistance and information on these programs are available through the Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program.

Q. How do I get a fishing or hunting license in North Carolina?

A. You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Q. What do I do if I come across an injured animal?

A. You may contact the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.


USFWS Customer Service Center - 1-800-344-WILD

Last Updated: July 22, 2020