The most current information regarding the Swift Fox can be found on the
South Dakota Ecological Services Swift Fox web page.
Archived Information Below
On January 8, 2001, the Service announced our recycled petition findings, as required in Section 4(b)(3)(C)(i) of the Endangered Species Act.
- Federal Register Notice: January 8, 2001 Annual Notice of Findings on Recycled Petitions
- Candidate and Listing Priority Assignment Form
- Press Releases
- USFWS January 8, 2001: Swift Fox No Longer Candidate for Endangered Species Listing
- Wyoming Game and Fish News January 18, 2001: Swift Fox Doing Well Enough to Avoid Threatened Species List
- Texas Parks and Wildlife January 8, 2001: USFWS Decides Not to List Swift Fox as Threatened
- Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks January 9, 2001: Swift Fox No Longer Endangered List Candidate
The swift fox conservation team is a multi-agency group formed in 1994 to work cooperatively on swift fox management and conservation. Composed of representatives from state and federal agencies within the U.S. swift fox range, the team's primary focus has been to document swift fox distribution in each state where historical records existed. State agency team members: Colorado Division of Wildlife, Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks, Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks, Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, North Dakota Game and Fish Department, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and Wyoming Game and Fish Department. Federal agency team members: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S.G.S. - Biological Resources Division, U.S. Forest Service, U.S.D.A. - APHIS, Wildlife Services, Bureau of Land Management. Candian agency team member: Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division. Other team members and participating cooperators. Conservation team newsletters, December 1997 and September 2000. Management activities in Montana 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999.
1999 Swift fox Conservation Team Annual Report. Activity Highlights from the annual report.
- Summary of swift fox research near Medicine Bow, Wyoming
- Wyoming completion report
- New Mexico investigations
- Texas annual summary
- Oklahoma investigations
- Kansas items
- Survey of furbearers in Fall River County, South Dakota
- Survey of furbearers in North Dakota
- National Grasslands investigations
- Survey in Buffalo Gap National Grasslands
- Canadian reintroduction efforts
- Turner Properties reintroduction efforts
- Blackfeet Tribe and Defenders of Wildlife reintroduction efforts