Service Extends Comment Period on Thurston Energy’s Proposed Oil and Gas Wells on Ouray National Wildlife Refuge in Uintah County, Utah
For Immediate Release
April 4, 2014
LAKEWOOD, Colo - The Ouray National Wildlife Refuge (NWR) of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Service) is extending the public comment period on a draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for Thurston Energy Operating Company’s (Thurston) proposed Ouray NWR 2-Well Development Program in Uintah County, Utah.
A 30-day public scoping period for the EA opened March 10, 2014. The comment period was originally scheduled to close on April 8, 2014. The comment period has been extended for two weeks, and comments will now be accepted through April 22, 2014.
Thurston is proposing to drill, complete and operate two (2) oil and natural gas wells from two (2) proposed well pad locations on the Ouray NWR in Uintah County, Utah. The proposed development would require the construction and maintenance of associated access roads, gathering pipelines, and overhead electrical lines. Specifically, Thurston’s Proposed Action includes the following primary components:
- Construction of two (2) well pads, each averaging approximately 1.6 acres in size;
- Construction of approximately 513 feet of new access road;
- Installation of up to 3.0 miles (15,710 feet) of co-located surface pipeline and 0.34 miles (1,815 feet) of "cross-country pipeline";
- Installation of approximately 9,768 feet of overhead electrical distribution lines; and
- Installation of up to two fluid separators, three produced water tanks, three condensate storage tanks, and one dehydration unit on each well pad.
The Service will work with Thurston to minimize impacts to the Ouray NWR. The Service Refuge Planning Division has prepared this EA in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and other relevant Federal and State laws and regulations to analyze proposed oil and natural gas development by Thurston within the Ouray NWR boundary.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Office of External Affairs
134 Union Blvd
Lakewood, CO 80228