Midwest Region - Ohio Ecological Services Office Conserving the nature of America

Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP) Information


Private landowners, corporations, state or local governments, or other non-Federal landowners who wish to conduct activities on their land that might incidentally harm (or "take") a species listed as endangered or threatened must first obtain an Section 10(a)(1)(B) incidental take permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. To obtain a permit, the applicant must develop a Habitat Conservation Plan (HCP), designed to offset any harmful effects the proposed activity might have on the species. The HCP process allows development to proceed while promoting listed species conservation.

For more information on the HCP process, visit the USFWS Endangered Species HCP page at www.fws.gov/endangered/what-we-do/hcp-overview.html