FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 7, 2018
Rick Westerhof, 231-584-3553, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marcy Hamilton, 269-925-1137 ext. 1525, email@example.com
Draft Environmental Assessment for Pucker Street Dam Removal and Dowagiac River Restoration Project Open For Public Review
We at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are pleased to announce, in partnership with the Pucker Street Dam Committee, the availability of the Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) for the proposed Pucker Street Dam Removal and Dowagiac River Restoration Project in Niles, Michigan.
The EA under consideration was prepared pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act and provides a description of the overall project purpose and need, alternatives considered as part of the analysis, and an assessment of impacts from project alternatives. Alternatives considered include the following:
- No action: Leave dam in-place, maintain current water level above Pucker Street Dam.
- Dam removal with blended restoration using existing channel alignment: Actions would include removal of Pucker Street Dam and associated structures, and a blend of active and passive restoration within the existing channel alignment.
The draft EA is currently available for public review and comment. The document may be viewed for 30 days from the date of this notice at the following locations:
- Niles City Hall, 333 N. 2nd Street, Niles, MI 49120;
- Niles District Library, 620 E. Main Street, Niles, MI 49120;
- Niles Charter Township Hall, 320 Bell Road, Niles, MI 49120;
- Berrien County Community Development, 701 Main Street, St. Joseph, MI 49085;
- Cass County Parks and Recreation, 120 N. Broadway, Suite 209, Cassopolis, MI 49031;
- Berrien County Parks Department, 701 Main Street, 4th Floor, St. Joseph, MI 49085;
- Southwest Michigan Planning Commission, 376 W. Main Street, Suite 130, Benton Harbor, MI 49022;
- Pokagon Band of Potawatomi, Department of Natural Resources, 32142 Edwards Street, Dowagiac, MI 49047;
- Harold Washington Library Center, 400 S. State Street, Chicago, IL 60605;
- Oak Brook Public Library, 600 Oak Brook Road, Oak Brook, IL 60523; and
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 6644 Turner Road, Elmira, MI 49730.
An electronic version of the draft Environmental Assessment is available upon request.
Written comments must be submitted by January 7, 2019 to:
Ms. Marcy Hamilton
Southwest Michigan Planning Commission
376 W. Main St, Suite 130
Benton Harbor, MI 49022