- Our Programs
- Coastal Program Conservation Planning Endangered Species Environmental Quality National Wetlands Inventory Species of Concern
- Conservation Priorities
- Bald Eagle Contaminants of Emerging Concern Great Lakes Restoration Initiative Monarch Butterfly Wind Energy Projects
Conserving the Nature
The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to conserve, protect, and enhance fish, wildlife, plants, and their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service in the Midwest
The Midwest Region includes Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio and Wisconsin.
Find a location or office
near you »
Guidance for Wind Energy Developments
Land-Based Wind Energy Guidance
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service guidelines help wind energy project developers avoid and minimize impacts of land-based wind projects on wildlife and their habitats. The goal of the voluntary guidelines is smart siting, design and operation of the nation's growing wind energy economy.
- USFWS Land-Based Wind Energy Guidelines (82-page PDF ; 1.4MB)
- Training Materials - a training series that uses five separate videos to cover different aspects of the Guidelines and other topics related to wind energy
The Eagle Conservation Plan Guidance explains the Service’s approach to issuing eagle "take" permits and provides guidance to applicants and biologists for conservation practices and adaptive management necessary to meet standards required for issuance of permits and compliance with the Eagle Act.
We developed guidance to help U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists assess the impacts of wind energy projects on Indiana bats. We are sharing this guidance with interested parties as they may find the guidance helpful in understanding the underlying rationale for our impact analyses and for guiding project development to avoid and minimize impacts to Indiana bats.
- Our Programs
- Coastal Program
- Endangered Species
- Environmental Contaminants
- Federal Projects
- National Wetlands Inventory
- Species of Concern