Endangered Species
Midwest Region



Map of Region 3 Minnesota Wisconsin Michigan

Connect With Us

Facebook icon

Flickr icon


Twitter icon

YouTube icon


Buy Duck Stamps icon Endangered Species Day icon

Great Lake Restoration Initiative logo

Endangered Species Permits

Applying for a Permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service


One of the first things you need to do to apply for a permit is contact your nearest USFWS Ecological Services Office. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service staff can help you determine whether your proposed project or action is likely to result in "take", whether a permit is required, or if there are other options to consider. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service personnel can also provide technical assistance to help you design your project to avoid take. For example, the project could be designed with timing restrictions on construction to minimize disturbance during the nesting season.


When and if you decide that a permit is needed, the next thing you will need to do is complete an application for the permit. Applications for permits are available on the web. Please read the instructions on how to fill out the online forms before accessing the forms.


Contact Us

For more information on obtaining an endangered species permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for activities occurring in the Upper Midwest Region (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin), contact:


In writing:

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Endangered Species Program - Permits
5600 American Blvd. West, Suite 990

Bloomington, MN 55437-1458


By phone:

(612) 713-5339


Back to "Permits" page


Last updated: May 2, 2018