Chicago Ecological Services Field Office

Midwest Region


Chicago Field Office

230 South Dearborn St.,

Suite 2938

Chicago, Illinois 60604
Phone: 312-216-4720

FAX: 312-216-1788
TTY: 1-800-877-8339
(Federal Relay)


Map of Chicago Field Office counties of responsibility.




Ecological Services

We work with public and private entities to conserve and restore Chicago metro area endangered species, migratory birds, wetlands, and other important fish and wildlife resources.



For questions about CITES permits, and importing wildlife and wildlife parts, please contact the USFWS Chicago Wildlife Inspection Program (847) 298-3250

Frequently Asked Questions


One of our jobs is to provide answers to wildlife-related questions asked by the general public. In many cases we are able to provide answers to these questions. In some cases, we must refer callers to another more appropriate agency. Among the more common questions received by the Chicago Illinois Field Office are related to these topics:


| Injured Wildlife | Canada Geese | National Parks | Duck Stamps | Boating Hunting & Fishing Licenses | Report Hazardous Materials| Ecological Services | Trust Resources |



1. Where do I take injured birds and other wildlife?

In urban areas, wildlife species frequently collide with windows or vehicles, or encounter dogs and cats. While many of these animals die, sometimes the public may find injured wildlife. In Illinois, injured wildlife may be briefly held in captivity and transported to wildlife rehabilitators licensed by the State of Illinois. Migratory birds may be taken only to rehabilitators who are in possession of appropriate Federal permits issued by the Service. The list of licensed rehabilitators changes annually. The Chicago Illinois Field Office can provide you with names of licensed rehabilitators in your area if you call 847/381-2253. Please be prepared to tell us the name of the Illinois county and town in which you live.


2. Who can I call to ask questions about Canada Geese?

The Chicago area is home to large numbers of resident Canada geese that result in a wide range of goose-human interactions. For further information you may call us, or please see our Canada Goose web page.


3. How do I get National Park passes, access permits, camping permits, golden eagle passports, or enroll in other access programs to National Parks?

Camping and other access permits for National Parks are administered by the National Park Service (NPS), another agency within the U.S. Department of Interior. Visit the NPS web site for a list of passes, access permits, programs and fees.


4. Where can I get boating, hunting and fishing information and licenses?

In the State of Illinois, hunting and fishing license sales are administered by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (ILDNR), or their licensed commercial vendors, which include bait shops, gun and sporting goods stores, and many major retail department stores. Boat registration is also administered by Iliinois DNR.


5. Where can I get a federal "duck stamp?"

The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service issues federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamps. These stamps are required to hunt migratory waterfowl in the United States, and are also popular among collectors. The Chicago Illinois Field Office does not sell these stamps. Stamps can be purchased at some U.S. Postal Service Offices, and at many major sporting goods retailers. Please visit our Federal Duck Stamp Office for more information.


6. Where do I get national wetland inventory maps?

National Wetland Inventory (NWI) maps, based upon USGS topographic maps, are produced by the Service. For more information, visit the Service's NWI web pages. NWI Maps can be purchased through various Cooperator-Run Distribution Centers. Each Center establishes its own pricing structure, product types and ordering procedures.


7. How do I report a potential hazardous materials situation?

To report a hazardous materials situation in northeast Illinois, you should first contact the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency at 1-800-782-7860. If your situation involves migratory birds that appear injured or affected by hazardous material, you may call this office at 847/381-2253, or call the Service's Law Enforcement Branch at their Rosemont, Illinois Office at 847/298-7669.


8. What is Ecological Services?

Ecological Services (ES) is a branch of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The Chicago Field Office has these programs or areas of concentration, including:


    1. Conservation Planning Assistance for Federal Activities: Provide techical assistance to federal agencies in analyzing impacts to fish and wildlife resources caused by projects they fund, license, perform, or permit.


    2. Endangered Species: Listing and recovery of federally threatened or endangered species, and consultation with federal agencies to ensure their compliance with section 7 of the Endangered Species Act of 1973.


    3. Habitat Restoration: Through our Partners for Fish and Wildlife program, and related grants, we provide technical assistance to private landowners and local governments in restoration activities which enhance habitat for the Service's trust resources.


    4. Environmental Contaminants: Identifies and attempts to prevent harm caused by environmental contaminants to the Service's trust resources, and assists recovery of damaged habitats that support trust species.


9. What are the Service's trust resources?

Trust resources are those resources for which the Service has been given specific responsibilities under federal law. These include migratory birds, interjurisdictional fishes (fish species that may cross state lines), federally listed threatened or endangered species, some marine mammals, and lands owned by the Service, such as National Wildlife Refuges.


For other questions, please call the Chicago Illinois Field Office at 847/381-2253.




Chicago ES Field Office Home

Last updated: December 30, 2019