If you are exporting CITES species, including their parts and products, that were either taken in U.S waters or on the high seas and landed in the United States, you will need to obtain the following authorizations.

  1. Complete and submit application form 3-200-27 to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Click here for additional guidance on how to complete this form. PLEASE NOTE: Whenever you apply for a CITES document, whether it is an export permit or re-export certificate, you will need to demonstrate that the catch was legally harvested.  Documentation that demonstrates legal origin of a catch would include copies of the required NOAA permits, state license (if required to fish in state waters), receipts showing the sale of the catch (if the catch changes hands), or other documentation that shows that the fish were legally harvested and traded.
  2. Apply for and obtain an import/export license from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Office of Law Enforcement.
  3. Export your specimen (e.g., live animals, parts, and products) through a port designated for wildlife. In some instances, you may apply for a designated port exception permit to export through the port of your choice.